Brock Calendar Entry
Electric Field, divergence and curl of electrostatic field; relation between electric work and energy; conductors; applications of Laplace's and Poisson's equation in electrostatics; electrostatic fields in matter; field in polarized object and linear dielectric.
- to gain experience with Vector Calculus
- to gain experience solving Maxwell's Equations for electrostatics using various techniques
- to become familiar with the dielectric properties of materials
MATH 2P03, 2P08 and 3P06
David J. Griffiths, Introduction to Electrodynamics, 4th Ed., Pearson, 2013
- Vector Calculus Review - chapter 1
- Electrostatics - chapter 2
- Laplace's Equation: Special Techniques- chapter 3
- Electric Fields in Matter - chapter 4
- All students are required to know and abide by the Academic Integrity Policy of Brock University. The University takes Academic Misconduct extremely seriously and will follow its strict procedures to the letter in all cases.
- Late summaries/questions will NOT be accepted.
- Students must achieve 50% on the final exam to pass the course
- Note that the last day to withdraw without academic penalty is Tuesday Nov. 6. 2018.
| Daily Summaries/Questions
|| Before each class (starting class #2), prepare a brief summary (couple of sentences) describing the main idea(s) in the readings. Include at least one question that you would like answered during class concerning the readings or problems. There are suggested problems from Griffiths. You are strongly advised to attempt these problems before class, and do them certainly after class. Email the summary plus question(s) to email@example.com by 9pm, the day before class
| Five Quizzes (30min)
|| In Class - Thursdays: Sept. 20, Oct.4, Oct 25, Nov. 8, Nov. 22
||time TBA location TBA