PHYS 4P71: Condensed Matter Physics II .......... taught in conjunction with
PHYS 5P70: Advanced Condensed Matter Physics
Course Outline 2018
What this course is about:
This course will provide an introduction to energy bands in metals, semiconductors, and insulators; and will
discuss the electrical, magnetic, optical, and transport properties of solids.
Prerequisite: PHYS 4P70 or equivalent
- Energy Bands
- Fermi Surfaces and Metals
- Optical Properties of Materials
- Magnetism in Materials
The Oxford Solid State Basics, by Steven H. Simon
Solid State Physics
by N.W. Ashcroft and N.D. Mermin
Introduction to Solid State Physics, 8th ed. by Charles Kittel
Monday 13:00-14:00, in PL408
Thursday 10:00-11:00, in MCH313
Friday 13:00-14:00, in PL408
Fereidoon Razavi (MC B204, ext. 3343, e-mail: email@example.com)
The marking scheme:
||Friday. Feb 16 2018.
|| Monday March 26 2018.
|| On an condensed matter topic to be assigned.
|| On condensed matter topic discussed in essay and presentation on March 21st and 23rd.
- No late homework assignments will be accepted.
- The test and the examination will be based on material covered during lectures, seminars and homework assignments.
- Topics may be covered in lectures, seminars, assigned reading and/or assignments.
- Assignments, Tests and Examination will be different for PHYS 4P71 and PHYS 5P70 students.
- Essay must be submitted one week prior to scheduled seminar date.
- Seminar is to be approximately 20 minutes in length. Date TBA.