Condensed Matter Physics II
Course outline: Brock Undergraduate Calendar Description:
Energy bands in metals and semiconductors, dynamics of electrons, Fermi surfaces and
transport properties of solids, magnetism, screening in electron gas, optical properties.
Prerequisite(s): PHYS 4P70.
There is no required textbook for the course.
The main source of information
will be the lecture notes. The library has many textbooks on this subject and students can choose any book
they find suitable. Some suggested books are:
- Solid State Physics by N.W. Ashcroft and N.D. Mermin
- Introduction to Solid State Physics by C. Kittel
- Condensed Matter Physics by Michael P. Marder
- Solid State Physics by Gerald Burns
- Solid State Physics by Giuseppe Grosso and Giuseppe Pastori Parravicini
- Physics of Condensed Matter by Prasanta K. Misra
- Quantum Theory of the Solid State by Joseph Callaway
assignments (40%), 1 midterm test (25%), final exam (35%)
Late assignments will not be accepted unless approved by the instructor