Physics Enrichment Program for High-School Students
Welcome! You have found the PEP home page.
The PEP program is currently on hiatus. If you are a student interested in this program,
or a teacher interested in offering such an enrichment opportunity to your students, please
contact us. If a sufficient interest is expressed by
about May of this year, we will consider offering the program again in the Winter Term
(February-April) of the next academic year.
Course outline (changing almost daily)
- Week 1. Preliminaries. Basic safety training.
- Feb.1 - 16:00-19:00 Science Safety course, MC B209
- Feb.3 - no PEP
- Week 2. Math skills review. Where does Math end and Physics begin?
- Week 3. Physicist's tools of the trade
- Week 4. Math vs. Physics vs. Data Analysis in problem solving
- Week 5. Math vs. Physics vs. Data Analysis in problem solving
- Feb.27 - the Cavendish experiment: c1.dat is ES run, ce.pcm is used to analyze it; c3-4.dat is a merge of c3 and c4, but there are problems; the movies (10fps) are to be analysed
- Feb.28 - stone down a well; solving $$x^2+bx+c=0$$
- Feb.29 - programming a calculator; physica macro comparison
- Mar.01 - Cavendish film digitization (group work, data)
- Mar.02 - physics vs. magic. Friction on an inclined plane. Disk/ring, $$I\propto MR^2$$. Planning the final show.
- Week 6.
- Mar.05 - moment of inertia demo; collisions in 2D; Verdet glass. Vectors review: definitions, components, dot product, geometrical interpretation, generating algebraic equations.
- Mar.06 - PhysicsBowl 2003 problems
- Mar.07 - finish up Cavendish analysis; prepare for a report. Vectors, cont'd.
- Mar.08 - midterm evals; planning a magic show.
- Mar.09 - no PEP
- Week 7. Spring Break
- Week 8. Momentum
- Mar.19 - in-class note-taking, momentum
- Mar.20 - Physics Bowl 2004; how to write a lab report
- Mar.21 - cannonballs inside a rail car, center-of-mass
- Mar.22 - conservation of momentum; frog problem, in the board reference frame
- Mar.23 - gas tube demo: sound is a pressure wave; 1 octave = 12 equal steps in frequency
- Week 9. Physics of music
- Mar.26 - frog problem, in the Earth reference frame; travelling and standing waves; "name that note"
- Mar.27 - scales, ratios, compromises:
- Mar.28 - Pythagorean, just, well, and equal temperaments
(a Physica macro;
ref: Music: A mathematical offering, an on-line textbook); seeing electrons in a Bainbridge tube
- Mar.29 - making musical instruments: a PVC trombone and flute
- Mar.30 - minstrel songs on guitars; tuning a didgeridoo; measuring temperature with sound
- Week 10.
- Apr.02 - review of the physics of music; preparation for final presentations
- Apr.03 - ice cube sliding off a globe; intro Fourier transforms
- Apr.04 - playing with liquid Nitrogen
- Apr.05 - superconductivity, Meissner effect, magnetic levitation
- Apr.06 - Easter Friday, no PEP
- Week 11.
- Apr.08 - Easter Monday, no PEP
- Apr.09 - density and specific heat measurements
- Apr.10 - gnuplot; recursion
- Apr.11 -
- Apr.12 -