A part-time position is available, up to 10hrs/week, paying the standard
student part-time rate ($8.23/hr for students who have completed Y1; $8.74 for Y2;
$9.95 for Y3). The duties involve rearranging the existing and adding new HTML material
as necessary to establish a uniform look-and-feel of the several top layers of Brock's
www presence, with the primary focus on the Faculty of Math and Sciences;
coordinating with External Relations, the Dean's office, and with
the individuals responsible for maintaining the Departmental www pages. Close
interaction with the CCCP subcommittee on the Brock Web Style Guidelines is anticipated.
Strong computer-use skills are an asset, but not a prerequisite. A good typographical
sense is necessary, document layout skills essential.
The following principles of composition shall be adhered to judiciously:
The overriding criterion is to deliver as much useful information as is practical at a single
glance (hence both a minimum and a maximum length restrictions).
- a minimum of pictures at top levels (e.g., no colour bullets, no backgrounds)
- 1.5-2 screenfuls max length, 0.75 min length
- a uniform overall appearance [Brock letterhead?] is maintained
- each page has a return to Brock home page...
- red Brock logo everywhere is a return button to Brock home page
- each page has a name/email of the person responsible for it
The following draft of Brock U. Home page is an example.
The appointment will be made as soon as possible, and no later than October 30, 1995.
The initial duration of the project is two months, with possible extensions in the
Supervisor: Prof. E.Sternin
If interested, please, mail pointers to the .html documents you have created to
Related: technical issues
- a separate www server machine for Brock U., www.brocku.ca
- administrative info, general reference, and home pages for those Departments that
do not have their own servers maintained on it
- a database of pages and the names of persons responsible for each + expiry date
is maintained, requests for update/revision automatically generated
- the entire Brock U. www tree is indexed and a search-by-keyword facility is provided
- a standard way [a cgi script?] is provided to know the date of the latest revision
for each page
Related: cooperation with the webmaster
The above position is primarily concerned with the content of the .html
documents. Technical support will be provided by the webmaster of
the CCS. This involves:
- periodical checks of all of the web pages for correctness, which
- status of all links
- correct spelling
- cgi scripts are working properly
- the content follows all policies and guidelines
- making sure that all web pages are kept up to date by those that are
- assistance and coordination with people maintaining departmental web pages
to ensure that Brock University is represented properly on the World Wide Web
- monitoring email to email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org