PHYS 4P71: Condensed Matter Physics II .......... taught in conjunction with
PHYS 5P70: Advanced Condensed Matter Physics
Course Outline 2017
What this course is about:
This course will provide an introduction to energy bands in metals, semiconductors, and insulators; and will
discuss the electrical, magnetic, optical, and transport properties of solids.
Prerequisite: PHYS 4P70 or equivalent
- Energy Bands
- Fermi Surfaces and Metals
- Optical Properties of Materials
- Magnetism in Materials
The Oxford Solid State Basics, by Steven H. Simon
Solid State Physics
by N.W. Ashcroft and N.D. Mermin
Introduction to Solid State Physics, 8th ed. by Charles Kittel
Wednesday 10:00-11:00, in MCC400
Thursday 10:00-11:00, in MCH300
Friday 10:00-11:00, in MCC400
Fereidoon Razavi (MC B204, ext. 3343, e-mail: email@example.com)
The marking scheme:
||Friday. Feb 10 2017.
|| Tues. March 17 2017.
|| On an experimental technique to be assigned.
|| On experimental technique discussed in essay.
- No late homework assignments will be accepted.
- The test and the examination will be based on material covered during lectures, seminars and homework assignments.
- Topics may be covered in lectures, seminars, assigned reading and/or assignments.
- Assignments, Tests and Examination will be different for PHYS 4P71 and PHYS 5P70 students.
- Essay must be submitted one week prior to scheduled seminar date.
- Seminar is to be approximately 20 minutes in length. Date TBA.